Introducing Anti-wrinkle Treatment
When we are young our skin springs back to its initial position after facial expressions, but as we get older dynamic wrinkles remain on the skin to form static wrinkles; these are the wrinkles and folds that are present at rest. This process occurs because natural substances such as collagen (the major structural protein in the skin), elastin (the protein that causes tissue to stretch) and hyaluronic acid (which gives skin volume) decrease with age.
This, together with environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight, smoking and stress all contribute to the creation of wrinkles and folds.
- What is wrinkle relaxation treatment?
- Wrinkle relaxation treatment involves a natural, purified protein that relaxes wrinkle-causing muscles, creating a rejuvenated appearance. The active ingredient in wrinkle relaxation treatment is derived from bacteria in much the same way penicillin is derived from mould. It is manufactured in sterile laboratory conditions.
The treatment is a prescription-only medicine and treatment is only available from a qualified medical professional. It is registered for the treatment of crow's feet (the lines that radiate from the corner of your eye when you smile or squint), forehead lines (the horizontal lines that form when you raise your eyebrows) and glabellar frown lines (the vertical lines that appear between your eyebrows when you frown).
- How does wrinkle relaxation treatment work?
- The treatment can be used to relax specific facial muscles that cause dynamic wrinkles (these are the wrinkles that are formed during facial expression). Once the muscles are relaxed, you cannot contract them and continue to make the undesirable facial expressions. Thus, the lines gradually smooth and new lines are prevented from forming.
- What does wrinkle relaxation treatment involve?
- Wrinkle relaxation treatment is a non-surgical procedure whereby a small amount of product is administered into selected facial muscles by a trained medical professional using a very fine needle. Generally, the treatment takes around 10 minutes. Discomfort is typically minimal and brief, and no anaesthetic is usually required. The injection may sting for a few seconds but normal activities can be resumed soon after.
After the injection, it takes 2 -3 days for the treatment to begin taking effect and about 7 days to see the full effect. The dose recommended for the treatment will vary depending on your individual situation and the severity of your lines. Your doctor will know what the best dose is for you and which muscles to inject to give you the best results.
- How long does wrinkle relaxation treatment last?
- The effect can last up to 4 months before lines slowly begin to return. If you have repeat treatments, the effect tends to last longer.
To book an anti-wrinkle treatment consultation with Dr Lim, please contact our surgery using our easy online enquiry form.