Introducing dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM Technology
Dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology are new, non-animal, and natural injectable gels which acts as a skin 'filler' to gently restore structure and volume to skin.
They are used either to softly enhance your lips or to smooth out facial wrinkles and folds, providing a natural look and feel. The results from dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSS TM technology should last for 6 -12 months.
Dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology are dermal (skin) fillers which are carefully injected beneath the skin's surface to diminish the depth of facial folds and wrinkles, and provide definition and volume to the lips.
- How do lips change with age?
- Natural substances such as collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid, that provide the skin with structure and volume, decrease with age. This, together with environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight, smoking and stress all contribute to how our skin ages. The lips in particular have an extremely thin outer layer, which becomes progressively thinner as the body ages. Over time the corners of the mouth can begin to droop (mouth frown), the v-shaped area of the upper lip known as Cupid's Bow begins to flatten out and our lips lose their youthful fullness. Vertical lip lines can also begin to appear, causing your lipstick to bleed.
- How does dermal filler treatment enhance my lips?
- By treating the border of the upper and/or lower lip, dermal filler injectable gels enhances lip contours and definition. Lip volume can also be enhanced when used in the lip body. The results from dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology should last for 6 - 12 months.
- How and why do wrinkles form?
- Many facial wrinkles occur when we use our muscles to form facial expressions. The wrinkles formed during facial expression are called dynamic wrinkles . When we are young our skin springs back to its initial position at rest but as we get older the wrinkles and folds formed during facial expressions remain on the skin. The wrinkles and folds present at rest are called static wrinkles . This process occurs because natural substances such as collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid, that provide the skin with structure and volume, decrease with age. This, together with environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight, smoking and stress contribute to the creation of wrinkles and folds.
- How does dermal filler treatment smooth out wrinkles?
- Unlike wrinkle relaxing injections that treat dynamic wrinkles by relaxing the muscles that cause wrinkle causing facial expressions, dermal filler injectable gel is placed below the skin's surface to literally "fill in" or "plump up" the static facial wrinkles and folds that are present at rest. Dermal filler treatment is used to diminish the depth of wrinkles and create a smoother more refreshed facial appearance that should last for 6 -12 months.
- What is the product used in dermal filler treatment made of?
- Dermal fillers are made from a natural complex sugar called Hyaluronic Acid ( hy-al-ur-onic Acid ). Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is found naturally within the tissues of living cells, including human skin . HA assists in skin hydration by attracting and holding water and also combines with collagen and elastin to provide skin structure and elasticity.
- How are dermal fillers made?
- In its natural form, HA is a single chain sugar which is naturally metabolised (broken down) by the body within days. It is important that a dermal filler is not metabolised by your body quickly, so that the results last for as long as possible. To achieve this, the HA in dermal filler injectable gels are cross-linked, a process by which individual sugar chains are linked together to form a kind of 'mesh' which takes the body much longer to metabolise.
The longevity and smoothness of dermal fillers is hence reliant on the cross-linking and manufacturing process. Dermal fillers that use proprietary HylacrossTM technology deliver a high degree of cross-linking and a smooth formulation.
- What does the procedure involve & how long does the result last?
- Treatment with dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology is a non-surgical procedure by which the injectable gel is administered through a few injections by a trained medical professional. Your doctor may decide to administer a topical (cream) or local anaesthetic to help numb the area being treated. The procedure should cause only minimal disruption to your daily routine and the majority of people resume their normal activities immediately after the procedure. The results you receive from treatment should last for 6 - 12 months.
- Are there any side effects?
- Because the HA in dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology is naturally present within the skin and not derived from animals there is no need for an allergy pre-test before treatment. HA dermal fillers have been clinically studied for many years and clinical trials have shown that dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology are well tolerated.
The injection itself should cause minimal discomfort, and if experienced, side effects are generally temporary injection site related effects including swelling, bruising and redness. Less frequently temporary pain, firmness, lumps, itching and discolouration can also occur at the injection site. The majority of people resume their normal activities immediately following the procedure.
- How long have dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology been used?
- Dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology have been available in Europe since 2000 and were approved for use in the U.S in June 2006. In 2006 dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology were also listed on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG).
- Can dermal fillers that use proprietary HYLACROSSTM technology be used with other procedures?
- Many people use a combination of cosmetic products and/or procedures with dermal fillers to achieve complimentary effects. Your doctor will advise you as to whether or not you will receive better results if your dermal filler treatment is combined with other products and/or procedures.
To book a dermal filler consultation with Dr Lim, please contact our surgery using our easy online enquiry form